Research, Resources, and
|Congregational Life Survey
|A Field Guide to
Congregations and worshipers in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) have many strengths when compared to
Nonetheless, PC(USA) congregations face several challenges:
- Larger percentages of PC(USA) worshipers are involved in small group activities in their congregations and in
community outreach activities.
- More worshipers serve in leadership roles in their congregations.
- Worshipers in PC(USA) congregations are more educated than typical worshipers.
- Presbyterian worshipers are older than typical worshipers.
- Like in other denominations and faith groups, men are under-represented in the pews.
- Few worshipers are involved in outreach efforts or evangelism activities of their congregations.
- Most new people in PC(USA) congregations have come to their churches from other congregations; few are
first-timers who have no previous religious affiliation.
- Most congregations are small with fewer than 100 in worship.
- Most worshipers are in large congregations.
Go to: Field Guide to Presbyterian Congregations:
Go to: U.S. Congregations Home Page
Copyright 2002 Research Services. All rights reserved.
Last modified July 12, 2002 by U.S. Congregations Home